Point Reyes has a wide variety of subjects to photograph. We will spend our time exploring a large portion of the park.
We will base ourselves at the Clem Miller Environmental Education Center. From there we will be visiting various parts of the park, based on the day's weather forecast.
A particular focus of this workshop will be on photographing old buildings. In addition, we will probably be shooting in a variety of lighting conditions, ranging from bright beaches to dark forest. If there are overcast conditions, we will go over the proper exposure settings to get vibrant pictures.
General Topics that will be Covered
We will focus on building up your technical foundation, including:
- Setting color and image quality settings for best results
- Focusing, depth of field, and image sharpness
- Getting the right exposure through the use of histograms
- Learning how to use exposure compensation to get better results
- How to identify strong compositions
- How to improve contrast and clarity in difficult lighting
- And, the location of several beautiful places to photograph
- There will also be a critique of your images and guidance on how to capture the "spirit of your subjects", and not just their surfaces
WHERE: Point Reyes National Seashore
DATE: Friday, November 18th at 4:00 PM to Sunday, November 20th 3:00 PM
TIME: Sunrise to Sunset on Saturday
CLASS SIZE: Limited to 15 participants
We will carpool from Petaluma on Friday afternoon (or you can meet up with us at the Clem Miller Environmental Education Center). There will be an optional post-workshop critique of your images a few weeks after the workshop has ended. A map of our itinerary will be supplied to participants after the workshop, so that you can re-visit any of the places we photographed.
The price includes lodging. This course fee does not include transportation or meals.
This class will be taught under the auspices of the Point Reyes National Seashore Association and their Field Institute. We will stay the entire weekend in the park photographing a wide variety of environments. What we photograph will depend on the weather. I will also talk a lot about capturing the "spirit" of things and not just their surface. You will register for this course through the PRNSA website.