Late April and early May is the usually the "Peak Flow" for the waterfalls around Yosemite National Park, this year it should be stupendous. We will stay just outside the park and will spend most of our days photographing the various falls in and around Yosemite Valley.
We will lodge just outside the west entrance of the park. We will carpool from Petaluma in the late morning, and enter Yosemite Valley on Friday afternoon and catch the final part of the day there. Early Saturday morning, we will return to the valley to photograph waterfalls until the light gets bad, then we'll take a break at Yosemite Village, eat, and look at photographs in the Ansel Adams Gallery. We will end Saturday photographing the valley again. On Sunday, we will return to the park early again and photograph until the light is not so good, and then we'll work our way back west to Petaluma.
General Topics that will be Covered
We will focus on building up your technical foundation, including:
- Setting color and image quality settings for best results
- Focusing, depth of field, and image sharpness
- Getting the right exposure through the use of histograms
- Learning how to use exposure compensation to get better results
- How to identify strong compositions
- How to improve contrast and clarity in difficult lighting
- And, the location of several beautiful places to photograph
- There will also be a critique of your images and guidance on how to capture the "spirit of your subjects", and not just their surfaces
- Ways of capturing "motion" in the water, and not blowing out the highlights of the white water
WHERE: Yosemite Valley, California (and vicinity)
DATE: Friday, May 5th to Sunday, May 7th
TIME: Sunrise to Sunset
CLASS SIZE: Limited to 6 participants
We will carpool from Petaluma on Friday morning (or you can meet up with us around Yosemite). The workshop will be based near Yosemite Valley and our subjects will be chosen based on weather conditions at the time. There will also be an optional post-workshop critique of your images a few weeks after the workshop has ended. A map of our itinerary will be supplied to participants after the workshop, so that you can re-visit any of the places we photographed.
Suggested places for lodging will be given after registration.
The price is for tuition only. This course fee does not include transportation or meals.