Fall reaches the Sierras several weeks before it reaches the Bay Area.
We will base ourselves in the Mammoth Lakes/Bishop area. We will reach the eastern Sierra via Yosemite. We will pass through Yosemite Valley in the afternoon and drive through Tuolumne Meadows in the very late afternoon. We will visit alpine lakes on the other side of the mountains. Other places we may visit include: Bodie Ghost Town, Mono Lake, Bristlecone Pines, and Devil's Postpile.
In this particular workshop, we may photograph some old buildings, as well as landscapes. In addition, we will be shooting in a variety of lighting conditions, ranging from bright lakes to dark forest. If there are overcast conditions, we will go over the proper exposure settings to get vibrant pictures.
General Topics that will be Covered
We will focus on building up your technical foundation, including:
- Setting color and image quality settings for best results
- Focusing, depth of field, and image sharpness
- Getting the right exposure through the use of histograms
- Learning how to use exposure compensation to get better results
- How to identify strong compositions
- How to improve contrast and clarity in difficult lighting
- And, the location of several beautiful places to photograph
- There will also be a critique of your images and guidance on how to capture the "spirit of your subjects", and not just their surfaces
WHERE: Mammoth Lakes, California (and vicinity)
DATE: Friday, October 5th to Sunday, October 7th
TIME: Sunrise to Sunset
CLASS SIZE: Limited to 6 participants
We will carpool from Petaluma on Friday around noon (or you can meet up with us in Mammoth Lakes). The workshop will be based out of Mammoth Lakes and our subjects will be chosen based on weather conditions at the time. There will also be an optional post-workshop critique of your images a few weeks after the workshop has ended. A map of our itinerary will be supplied to participants after the workshop, so that you can re-visit any of the places we photographed.
Suggested places for lodging will be given after registration.
The price is for tuition only. This course fee does not include transportation or meals.