Yosemite Valley is always beautiful, but this is a particularly good time of the year to photograph it. The crowds are much smaller than Summer, "fall color" dots the valley, and the weather is usually pleasant. We will mostly be in Yosemite Valley, but we may go to Glacier Point, Mariposa Grove, or Tuolumne Meadows as well.
Using histograms, the workshop will focus on how to photograph in harsh light, capturing detail in both the light and dark areas of a scene. If it is overcast, we will go over the settings needed to get vibrant pictures.
General Topics Covered
We will build up your technical foundation no matter your current level, including:
- Focusing, depth of field, and image sharpness
- Getting the ideal exposure for each situation
- Proper camera settings to get high quality images
- When, how, and what filters to use to improve images
- Evoking a sense of place and emotion in your imagery
- How to spot new ways of identifying strong compositions
- The exact locations of beautiful places to photograph
- Capturing the "spirit of your subjects", and not just their surfaces
WHERE: Yosemite Valley, California (and vicinity)
DATE: Monday, November 12th to Wednesday, November 14th
TIME: Sunrise to Sunset
CLASS SIZE: Limited to 6 participants
We will carpool from Petaluma on Friday around noon (or you can meet up with us in the Valley). The workshop will be based just outside the valley or Curry Camp (currently called Half Dome Village). Our subjects will be chosen based on weather conditions at the time. There will also be an optional post-workshop critique of your images a few weeks after the workshop has ended. A map of our itinerary will be supplied after the workshop, so that you can re-visit any of places we visited. We will make short stops on the way to Yosemite as needed. Suggested places for lodging will be given after registration.
The fee of $295.00 is for tuition only. It does not include transportation, lodging, park entrance fees, or meals.