Mendocino is a beautiful place, but it seems to be extra special when everything is green and the flowers are in bloom. This workshop and tour will concentrate along the coast in the Mendocino-Fort Bragg area, the tour may also wander inland into the woods and may move up into "The Lost Coast" as well.
We will base ourselves in Fort Bragg, which is less expensive than the town of Mendocino and is close to everything. We will be photographing the flowers that should be in bloom at this time of year, as well as buildings in the town of Mendocino, and old locomotives in Fort Bragg. We may photograph the boats at Noyo Harbor and go north and south along the coast and inland to the redwood forests.
General Topics that will be Covered
We will focus on building up your technical foundation, including:
- Setting color and image quality settings for best results
- Focusing, depth of field, and image sharpness
- Getting the right exposure through the use of histograms
- Learning how to use exposure compensation to get better results
- How to identify strong compositions
- How to improve contrast and clarity in difficult lighting
- And, the location of several beautiful places to photograph
- There will also be a critique of your images and guidance on how to capture the "spirit of your subjects", and not just their surfaces
WHERE: Fort Bragg, California (and vicinity)
DATE: Friday, June 8th to Sunday, June 10th
TIME: Sunrise to Sunset
CLASS SIZE: Limited to 6 participants
We will carpool from Petaluma on Friday afternoon (or you can meet up with us around Fort Bragg). The workshop will be based in Fort Bragg and our subjects will be chosen based on weather conditions at the time. There will also be an optional post-workshop critique of your images a few weeks after the workshop has ended. A map of our itinerary will be supplied to participants after the workshop, so that you can re-visit any of the places we photographed.
Suggested places for lodging will be given after registration.
The price is for tuition only. This course fee does not include transportation or meals.